Workshop: Perl on embedded devices
This tutorial/workshop will be held on Sunday, 8th of July, 10AM - 4PM, with one hour lunchbreak, see About the tutorials.
Speaker: Jens Rehsack
As goal of this workshop the participants learn the safe and reliable way to develop and deploy software on IoT devices. Being able to fulfill non-functional requirements as security updates is conceptionally included.
Because of limited seats, a binding registration is mandatory.
Furthermore a registration fee has to be payed to cover operational and hardware*) efforts.
§9: Wat sull dä Quatsch? (What is it good for?)
- One can make experiences with developing of software for devices without having access to the device in case of support conditions.
- We'll talk about concepts using embedded devices for SaaS models, even partially for accounting.
- Participants can do experiments with different operation concepts (e.g. Debian using ext4 vs. Poky on squashfs).
- Developers could experience previously unknown problems and thus may result in proactive improved software quality.
- Maintainers could experience which decisions produces which consequences.
The workshop covers following topics
- Basis of images for embedded systems
- Becoming familiar with the infrastructure
- Getting logged in on the build machine for the workshop
- Adding a simple Perl application
- Building a new image with that application
- flash the built image on the demo board
- Testing the application
- Adding a new perl module
- Using the newly added Perl module in the test application
- Flash and test the updated test application
- individual steps
Starting from here each perticipant can do several individual steps - from adding own, existing applications over experimenting with electronic components up to testing and adopting maintained Perl modules.
Self-serviced equipment: operational vt100 terminal, ssh client
*) provided equipment
|2||Beaglebone Black Case||1|
|6||RJ45 patch cable||2|
|7||VLAN-Tagged switch port for Laptop & Beaglebone||2|
|10||electronic components (resistors, jumper, cable/connectors, ...)||20-30|
Participation fee (regular): 65 €
Discounted rate (users who already attended this tutorial at German Perl Workshop): 30 €